CCEI to publish community-based RISE Zine

Interns%2C+such+as+Emmarose+Pulio+%28pictured%29%2C+from+the+Center+for+Cultural+Engagement+and+Inclusion+have+been+working+with+CCEI+Coordinator+Jonathan+Leon+to+get+print+and+digital+issues+ready+for+publication.+
Photo Contributed by Jonathan Leon
Interns, such as Emmarose Pulio (pictured), from the Center for Cultural Engagement and Inclusion have been working with CCEI Coordinator Jonathan Leon to get print and digital issues ready for publication.

The Center for Cultural Engagement and Inclusion has begun a community-based publishing project, called RISE Zine, that is set to release in the spring semester.ย 

The project is open to all members of the California Lutheran University community.

โ€œPrint versions of the RISE Zine will be sold, with all profit being donated to the Cal Lutheran Community Cupboard (50%) and the Student Equity & Inclusion Fund (50%),โ€ CCEI Coordinator Jonathan Leon said in an email interview.ย 

The project idea, Leon said, came after viewing art produced by students at the William Rolland Art Center. He said many of the works created had underlying themes that reflected efforts of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.ย 

According to Leon, the CCEI also came up with the idea to pursue the RISE Zine after listening to a poem from Staff Clinician Erika Jackson. The spoken poetry was performed during an event commemorating the beginning of Black History Month in February 2022.

โ€œThat, coupled with that poem by Dr. Erika Jackson as well as art that was gifted to us by Cal Lutheran Student, Unnati Diyah Maharjan for Transgender Day of Remembrance, inspired us to seek the various creative work that our beloved campus community has to offer and highlight it through the RISE Zine,โ€ Leon said.ย 

Leon said print versions will be available to purchase for $15 and digital copies for $5.ย 

CCEI Intern Millennia Gamez said submissions for the zine have been promoted on several social media platforms and will continue to be advertised in other communication forms, such as the CCEI newsletter.

According to Leon, the CCEI is asking all members of the campus community, including staff and students, to submit any creative projects that have themes associated with social justice or identity empowerment.

Gamez said the zine aims to empower the community and support DEIJ efforts to educate and inspire the Cal Lutheran community.

The submission portal, which is available online, accepts various creative mediums.

โ€œWe invite any submissions of the following creative mediums that align with the themes of social justice and/or identity empowerment: Graphic Design, Music (instrumental and lyrical), Photography, Poetry, spoken word, short stories/essays, visual artโ€ฆโ€ Leon said in an email interview.ย 

The RISE Zine, Leon said, will produce a single publication for the 2023-2024 academic year, and selected art mediums will be showcased at an in-person gallery in spring 2024.

Leon said the RISE Zine is one of multiple projects that the CCEI has been working on for this academic year.ย 

โ€œWe have some brand new initiatives that we are excited about launching this year, the Zine is just one of them,โ€ Leon said in an email interview. โ€œWe also are having our first year with the United Equity and Justice Collective (UEJC) in which student delegates can determine the new DEIJ-related projects that they want to see happen on campus.โ€

To bring the Cal Lutheran community together, Leon said the RISE Zine will provide a platform to showcase art that seeks to bring awareness to social issues and similar topics. The art gallery is set to take place on Thursday, March 14, 2024. The location has yet to be announced.ย 

Gamez said she encourages students and all community members to participate in the project, as it will be seen by all of the Cal Lutheran community.

The priority deadline for all submissions is Dec. 13, 2023, and the final deadline will be Jan. 31, 2024.