Windham-Hughes follows her calling to the Lutheran faith

Serena Zuniga

Associate professor Colleen Windham-Hughes smiles at the crowd as Bishop Guy Erwin reads the communion text on Friday Oct. 25.

Serena Zuniga, Reporter

Colleen Windham-Hughes, an associate professor of religion at California Lutheran University, was ordained under the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on Friday Oct. 25. Windham-Hughes was previously ordained as a pastor under the United Methodist Church.

โ€œMy dad was the choir director at my church, so I was born and baptized a United Methodist. Thatโ€™s my ordination,โ€ Windham-Hughes said.

About four years ago, Windham-Hughes said she recalls feeling an โ€œoverwhelming sense of belongingโ€ while at a Lutheran conference. It was then that she realized she wanted to become Lutheran.

โ€œI kept it to myself for a while, and then after a couple of years of just thinking about it to myself, I actually said it out loud to one of my best friends who was a United Methodist pastor. I said โ€˜Iโ€™ll probably be Lutheran one day.โ€™ Like both of us heard me say that, so then I had to be accountable,โ€ Windham-Hughes said.

Windham-Hughes said she had many conversations with United Methodists and Lutherans in an effort to try to understand her feelings.

โ€œLutherans said โ€˜Oh my gosh this [is] wonderful! Yes please.โ€™ And even my United Methodist friends said โ€˜We love this community and how involved you are in the ministry,โ€™โ€ Windham-Hughes said.ย  โ€œAnd even by the time the process was almost finished this summer and I was going to my last Methodist gathering, they said to me โ€˜Weโ€™ve thought of you as Lutheran for some time now.โ€™โ€

After careful thought and deliberation, Windham-Hughes said she began the process of ordination to the ministry of Word and sacrament under the ELCA. This process involved writing, meetings and a psychological evaluation.

Scott Maxwell-Doherty, university pastor at Cal Lutheran, said ordination is โ€œa visible welcome into a community of faith.โ€

โ€œOrdination is the church, now the Lutheran church for her. Saying a profound โ€˜yesโ€™ that your gift and skill set is something that we wish to honor and bless in a significant way,โ€ Maxwell-Doherty said.

Maxwell-Doherty was on the committee that interviewed Windham-Hughes when she arrived at Cal Lutheran. Since then, they have become close friends with one another. He is even the godfather to Windham-Hughesโ€™ son.

โ€œShe is thoughtful, mindful, deeply caring, has a gift and skill set for asking the question that you desperately want to have asked, so that you can talk about the stuff that you want to talk about,โ€ Maxwell-Doherty said.

As a professor and pastor, Windham-Hughes is involved with the lives of students on campus. Junior and Lord of Life President David Hall said he sees Windham-Hughes as a spiritual mentor and resource.

โ€œSheโ€™s someone thatโ€™s always been there and sheโ€™s a pastor for a lot of what we do,โ€ Hall said.

Windham-Hughes said she hopes students take from her ordination that itโ€™s โ€œworth it to pursue your integrity through hard things, and to do what you can to stay in relationships with people when you go through difficult times.โ€ She added that people, despite their differences, have the ability to come together.

Windham-Hughes will continue to serve as a pastor and associate professor at Cal Lutheran, now under the ELCA.

โ€œMy job isnโ€™t changing. Iโ€™ll still be a professor and a pastor just the same, but I think what changes is that my membership is really where my energy is personally and professionally,โ€ Windham-Hughes said.